Sunday, December 11, 2011

Christmas Tree Day

Survived the annual decorating trial. We seem to have a reeeeally teeny tree this year, even though it was just as expensive as all the other years. I almost did the unthinkable, and went fake, just because I saw the most fabulous RED tree (it also came in BLUE and L8 was desperate for one) but on checking it out they wanted $299 for it and *ahem* much as I like Christmas, I don't like it enough to eat baked beans for the foreseeable future, so no red tree for us.


I'm clearly not a very sentimental mummy because I did take the opportunity to throw one of the decorations L8 made at school years ago into the bin. Sadly though, he spotted it in there, told me I was the meanest mummy ever, retrieved it and hung it in pride of place, right in the middle of the tree. Hmmm. I have already hidden it again within the depths of the tree this time. It's really kinda tragic, rather than festive:

I guess that's what kids are supposed to do at Christmas though - torment their mothers with aesthetically-challenged decorations. I remember my sister and I insisting a blue-haired gnome was the baby Jesus and our Christmas fairy had to hold him. Now it's my turn, and L8 is tormenting me with a blue plastic whale. First he popped it on top of the tree:


and now we've come to a truce with it perched happily as the angel's blue whale-like hat.
Sigh. A new tradition. Joyous.

1 comment:

mutti said...

That blue-haired gnome is still glued to the Christmas fairy to this day - I am not allowed to biff it in the bin!