Sunday, December 18, 2011

Things That Go Bump In The Night

Last night I blearily registered the classic thump of a car crash. Having grown up on a busy road with a bend in it, I'm afraid to admit I'm a bit immune to the bump, and it failed to rouse me enough to brave the wet dark of 2am. A few minutes later, however, there was that scariest of nighttime sounds - someone tapping on the bedroom window. . .

 When you are a teen or a young twenty-something, a tap on the window can be the start of something exciting and fun, but when you are middle-aged, there can be no good coming from a tap on the window. I freaked a bit, but at least I got up to scowl menacingly at whoever needed my attention but didn't want to knock on the door like any normal night-time intruder. Geeky Husband couldn't even make it out of bed, and satisfied himself with some incoherent mumblings. On (bravely!) opening the door I found my next door neighbour asking if we had friends here who had parked outside? Nope, but it had given me sufficient adrenaline to go and see what his problem was.

It was quite a big one:



I thought that car was a hatchback, but no, it used to be a sedan. Thoroughly squished eh?

I don't think anyone was hurt (that one was actually parked when it was hit) but the fence we fixed and painted [the front of anyway!] not long ago is looking kind of the worse for wear:



Bags not fix that.

1 comment:

meg said...

Oh no! I hate anyone who interrupts my sleep. Especially crazy nutters. Guessing they did a runner?